I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Monday, January 21, 2013

1.21.13

Matthew 13:52 Then he (Jesus) added, "Every teacher of religious law who becomes a disciple in the Kingdom of Heaven is like a home-owner who brings from his storeroom new gems of truth as well as old."
 
My Thoughts
I love this verse!!  Each of us bring a different perspective from God's word. We take what we learn from others, our Sunday School teachers, our pastors, our parents and our grandparents, old gems of truth...and then we add what we learn from the Bible new gems of truth.  For each of us the Bible speaks to us in different ways. How we see and interpret God's word depends on the things we are going through in life at the time.  Different passages stand out. The same passage may mean something different to us this year than it did last year. 
 
One time in Bible Study, there were about 10 of us, we were given a scripture to read to ourselves. Then we were to each tell what that scripture meant to us, there were at least 8 different answers.  Why because we were all in a different place in our lives... we had 8 different gems from that one scripture. 
 
Some of us come from a totally historical point of view... some of us take from the whole story.... some of us take from stand alone scriptures. Some of us learn more from the history and some of us learn more from the parables.  Some of us understand Matthew more and some of us understand John more.  Some of us have James' personality and some of us have Mark's personality.  Each of us relate to the Bible differently... in a million readers there will be a million different views. 
 
The way I understand this scripture is this: What I get from reading scripture is important, it is a gem... a gem is a treasure... my gem of truth is worth something.  It matters. So I need to share it.  My gem of truth may be the only gem of truth that gets through to somebody.  All the other gems of truth I have learned are important too...they matter. So I need to listen to others. 
 
It is important that each of us, pick up our own Bible in our own homes and find out what important gems that Jesus wants us to learn.   When we know God's word for ourselves, not just what someone else has taught us, we can begin to discern the truth of what we hear.

No comments: