I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Friday, January 28, 2011

1.28.11

Proverbs 5:22-23 An evil man is held captive by his own sins; they are ropes that catch and hold him.  He will die for lack of self-control; he will be lost because of his great foolishness.

My Thoughts
The first thing I think of here is really evil, the Jeffery Dahmer's of the world.  Then I stopped and though no it isn't as out there as that...even though the Jeffery Dahmer's of this world are truly captives of much evil. So I took this down a few notches in my brain and put it in a more every day type of evil and thought of people addicted to drugs... that are bond by drugs just as if they were bound by ropes (after all these didn't include me.) Then I looked up the definition of evil which was

1. morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.
2. harmful; injurious: evil laws.
3. characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering; unfortunate; disastrous: to be fallen on evil days.
4. due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character: an evil reputation.
5. marked by anger, irritability, irascibility, etc.: He is known for his evil disposition.

Oh now if you read all the definitions of evil... evil is just plain out ol' sin!.... gossip is harmful, cursing is bad conduct.... anger, well anger hurts you and the people around you...

So that began me thinking about what sins have me captive? procrastination is a big one. Laziness, I love a lazy day too much. There are more.. but that might take a while.  So just as a serial killer need to pray for a moral compass to be good.  Just as drug addict needs to pray for God to give him strength to stop taking drugs and hurting the people around him.  I need to ask God to give me his grace and power to help me overcome the sin (evil) in my life.  There are things I can't conquer alone (really I can't conquer anything alone)... just like a drug addict can't conquer addiction alone.  I don't like to think of myself as evil, none of us do.  But sin is evil, sin is sin no matter how small we like to think it is.  In life taking care of the big things is really easier than taking care of the little things.  We are more aware of how the big thing need to be taken care of...we are more aware of the destruction big things can bring on.  But we need to be aware of the little thing we are doing wrong...the little things have a great power, they just take longer to build up their strength.  Our little sins are like a crack in a huge dam.. it may look harmless but left unattended it can cause great destruction.

What are the little things that have control over you?  If God takes care of the big things, won't God take care of those little things too?... I have a few little things I need to have God help me with, I think I will go ask him now.

No comments: