I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Wednesday, November 28, 2012

11.28.12

2 Peter 2:19b For you are a slave to whatever controls you.
 
My Thoughts
Oh this line...this sentence it made my heart stop for a second!!  We can be a slave to anything, money, power, work, food,  television, knitting, football season, our house, cell phones, facebook, credit cards. We can become a slave to disease and sickness, drugs or alcohol.   Oh the list could go on and on. The thing is we actually choose what we are slaves to. The minute we put something on credit, we become a slave to that item until we have it paid off.  The minute we let something lure us in, keeping us from doing the thing we know we should be doing we have become a slave to that thing.  We can become a slave to this Christmas the minute we get roped into thinking to be special it has to be big so we spend all of next year paying for it.  We become a slave to football the minute we choose to watch a football game no matter what else happens!! And we ignore something or somebody important to watch that football game.  We become a slave to TV when we know what we are watching is not good for us but we choose entertainment over doing what is right. We can become a slave to illness the minute we decide we can't without stopping first to see if we could if we tried.  We can become a slave to anything if it controls us. 
 
But we have a choice!  We can become a slave to God.  A loving, all knowing, all powerful God who only has our best interest in His heart.  God is is love and loves us so much!!  A loving God will make sure that our tummies are always full and our bodies are always clothed.  A loving God who will get us through anything and protect us.  A loving God who care even about the desires of our hearts. 
 
It is much like a teenager that has stepped into darkness just a bit... and has that choice to go home to parents who will set out rules for her because they love her. Or she can choose to get in the car with that boy all dressed in black with a criminal record a mile long who promises her the world.  She can be a slave of her parents who love her... or she can be a slave of someone who promises her a chance to "feel good." She has a choice.
 
We have a choice!!  We can choose to live by God's rules and be protected and loved or we can be drawn in by something that promises to make us either feel good for a moment in time, or feel nothing for a moment in time.  It is important that we learn to recognize when something has a hold on us...the very minute we feel like we can't live without something is the very minute we need to turn to God and ask Him, "Is this OK? Is this good for me? Have I gone too far? Have I stepped over the line? Do I have your permission?"  When we do that and we listen to what God tells us...we have moved back under His protection. 
 
We can become a slave to anything... is there something controlling  you?   

No comments: