I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Saturday, December 3, 2011

12.3.11

1 John 3:16-17 We know what real love is because Jesus gave up his life for us.  So we also ought to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters.  If someone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but does shows no compassion -- how can God's love be in that person?

My Thoughts
I read once in a Dave Ramsey book that if all Christians tithed their 10% there were be no need for welfare....that Churches would be able to take care of all the poor in America. What an interesting fact!

When I was a little girl, in the 60's mid size houses were much smaller than "mid-size" houses are today. It was not unusual for kids to share bedrooms.  Yet as America grows and prospers and what the middle class has,  becomes more and more... and the divide between the have and the have nots seems to widen. The more electronic communication we have the more we are able to ignore the world around us. The more selfish we are able to become.

Yet we are called to have compassion...we are called to take care of one another... it ask us here how can God be in  a person that shows no compassion for people in need? Luke 12:48 tells us From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.  God gives to us so that we can give to others... God gave to America because America loved God and did what he ask.  If we want to grow we need to have compassion...we need to let go of what God has given us and help others. We need to trust God that when we do what He ask us to do He will always take care of our needs.  Luke 6:18 says Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” The tighter we hold on to, or the more we spend on ourselves to the point to having no money to hold on to... the less we will have in the long run.

Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed over greed.... America can be destroyed over greed. As Christians we need to step up and show compassion... not ask questions deciding if this person or that person deserves our help... we are to reach out and help those in need... God takes care of the rest... God takes care of us if we have compassion in our heart...compassion is evidence that God lives there.

When we stand before God I think one of the questions that God will ask is "Did you have compassion?" I want to be able to answer "yes." The more I know God the more my compassion grows.... but I still have so much to learn...and so much to grow... I want to get to the point where I never say to myself, "but, if I give I can buy me _____________."  After all Jesus gave up his life... his life for me.... surely I can give up "toys" so a family can eat.

 

No comments: