I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Sunday, December 11, 2011

12.11.11

Amos 4:4-6a Now this is what the Lord says to the family of Israel: "Come back to me and live!  Don't worship at the pagan alters of Bethel; don't go to the shrines at Gilgal or Beersheba.  For the People of Gilgal will be dragged off into exile, and the people of Bethel will be reduced to nothing. Come back to me and live!

My Thoughts
I wonder what God considers our pagan alters and shrines? Is it sports, TV's, shopping malls. I suspect it is anything we spend more time thinking about than we spend thinking about God. For some people it is even work, making money, having the most toys, being better than the Jones. What are our pagan alters and shrines? 

I know that I am bad to watch TV... I have gotten better... during the day I keep it turned off...but when 7 pm gets here the TV is on and I am watching TV till 10.  What better could I be doing with that time? What could I be doing to honor God?

Don't get all bent out of shape on me...I am just thinking things through.... I am not saying football is bad...but when we think more on football, when we spend more time watching and reading about football... when we think on shopping or what we are going to watch on TV tonight....  but don't make time for God in our day we are putting something before God.

I spend time with God each morning... but, I don't spend time with God each night... yet I watch 3 hours of TV!!... I need to end my day with God... I am beginning to understand that I need to make sure that God is a central part of my day...not just in the morning...but other parts of my day as well!!  When we seek after God, when we make God central in our lives, God takes care of the rest.

As Joyce Meyer says "I am not where I need to be, but thank God I am not where I use to be." I am learning... the more I learn the more God puts the desire and the power in me to do what pleases Him" (Philippians 2:13). God wants to be most important in our lives! We have to make the effort to make Him most important.

No comments: