I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Monday, August 20, 2012

8.20.12

Psalms 37:3-4 Trust in the Lord and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.  Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your hearts desire.

My Thoughts
I have been watching the Waltons lately...it was on when I was a child... it depicts a time when my mother was a toddler.  There is prayer over the dinner table, talk of doing what God expects, thankfulness in the mist of a depression, Sunday services. There is sacrifice for others, doing for others, not always thinking of ones self.  It is a reflection of how we lived and at the least what we expected families to be like. 

During the Great Depression people turned to God. They knew it was God who would get them through.  I have heard my grandmother speak of this very thing.  It was a time when our great nation turned to God, thanked God for anything that they had. A time when we depended on God...and look what followed!!  Great prosperity that lasted for years... enormous growth.. my grandmother and my mother when from a time of having very little to super grocery stores and super Wal-Marts.. to 4 car families with TVs in every room.  My grandmother and mother went from no phone to cell phones...not to mention computers.... from tiny 4 room mill houses to sprawling houses in suburbs.   Now we don't even recognize large houses as anything but "normal."  

All of this growth was not because of man and what he could accomplish. It was because of God and all of the gifts He gives to the people that love Him. 

Look what is on our TV's now!!  TV shows tell us that there is no need for values, the characters talk about how they don't believe in God.  Sex is expected on the third date.  Kids disrespect their parents, wives and husbands disrespect each other.  TV once again reflects so many of our values.  Only now it reflects how we don't honor God! It talks of not even believing in God ... it makes our children question if God exist, instead of instilling in them how important God is in our lives.  It reflects selfishness... hatefulness instead of love.  Doing for ourselves and not doing for others. It shows murder and evil running rampant. TV does not instill love ... in fact it teaches us how to be good thief's and murders.

We and our children are seeing record numbers of job losses, record numbers of foreclosures. Families not even working on staying together.  Parents being selfish, kids being selfish.  Parents giving to their children not out of love but out of a need to show out.  People are so busy spending money to show off they are no longer able to give their children what they need...because keeping up with the Jones' is more important than taking care of a family. Families that are so far behind that they don't feel like going to Church.  Our selfishness and unbelief are why our country is not prospering... we like to blame it on the government...but is is because as a country we live in a way that puts us out side the protection of God. 

When we start "Trusting in the Lord and do good." we will see our country, our "land prosper:...we will live safely once again.  When we "delight in God" we will once again begin to see our "heart's desire" in our lives. 

The solution to prosperity in our land is not the laws that are made, or who becomes president... it is the people, you and me turning to God, doing good, taking delight in the Lord...then God will take care of the laws and the jobs, the banks and the housing market God is able to turn the hearts of our leaders! But it is up to us...each and every one of us to love God and to love our fellow man. We can't wait on our neighbor to do it...we must each do our part!!

No comments: