I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Thursday, May 17, 2012

5.17.12

Proverbs 15:15-16 For the despondent, every day brings trouble; for the happy heart, life is a continual feast.  Better to have little, with the fear of the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil.

My Thoughts
To understand this verse at all we must first know that fear of the Lord means reverence, awe and great respect. Not being afraid.

I use to be very depressed... I suffered on and off from depression for years...I could become very despondent... just moving through the motions and not feeling anything but anxiety and dread.  I had asked Jesus into my heart, knew he was the Son of God... I asked often for forgiveness of my sins...but that is all I really understood... for years...even though often we attended Church and Sunday School. I just didn't "get it." 

One time in the middle of great despair at work... a co-worker who was often hateful to many of us had made me cry. A customer came up to me and said "If you knew Jesus you wouldn't be so upset!"  I was highly offended!  I tried hard to be a good person...I tried to be sweet and kind to people. I had asked Jesus into my heart! 

Even though she went about it all wrong...even though she made an assumption that she should not have made...she did know something that I didn't know.  God could make things better. She didn't tell me how...she just assumed that I was not saved because I didn't understand all there was to know about God.  She didn't give me credit for knowing God but not knowing how to grow in God. Instead of helping me...she pushed me one step backwards. 

What I know now is that God can make things better!  People can still make me cry!! Hateful people are still not my favorite people.  But a bad day is no longer a door to a great depression for me.  I can even still have a few days of being depressed...then I pull myself together and do what I need to do...and I find myself getting better.

Here is what I do... I tell myself that God can and will help me!!  God wants to help me!!.. My part is to draw God near.  So often when we are in the middle of depression, anxiety or despair we don't know what to say.  We don't have to know what to say!!!  We just have to start praising God... telling him "God I praise you, I love you, God!" Over and over... we give God our reverence of praise... we became in awe of God's greatness. When we draw God near...those spirits of depression and anxiety have no room.  Sometimes I have to do this all day long... for a couple of days... then I get to the point of being able to think...I calm down enough to feel God around me. Then I can start telling God what I feel... I can find the place were maybe I have sinned and ask forgiveness...I can tell God all that frustrates me...I find that when I tell God my frustrations that God clears those up for me...sometimes He tells me where I am thinking about somebody or something all wrong...sometimes He tells me that He understand why I am frustrated, but if I will forgive I will feel better.  He never treats me like that lady did...like I should not be having a bad day!!  Like my feelings shouldn't be hurt!  He surrounds me with His love and helps me know how to make my life better.

Going out and buying new things so that we have more doesn't make life better.  Getting on the phone and complaining doesn't make things better...often, more often than not...those actions just make things worse.  Going to God, talking to God... praising God...that always works!  Sometimes we just have to learn that we can do that...that we can go to God with anything...with everything...and God will help us work thought any problem we have!!

No comments: