I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Wednesday, October 19, 2011

10.19.11

1 Timothy 4:8 Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.

My Thoughts
I love this!!!... love it!  I am finding it to be so so true in my life.  Look at this verse it says training for godliness promises benefits in this life.  Our life here on earth will be better when we train to be godly!!  It will also bring us benefits in the life to come!!  Train is defined as : to direct the growth of (a plant) usually by bending, pruning, and tying  : to form by instruction, discipline, or drill... we have to work at being godly...we have to learn and grow... we have to use what we have learned... we have to first make an effort to use what we have learned... a very conscious effort... then use it over and over again until it becomes what we do automatically.  We have to train our bodies, our hands, our feet, our mouths, our minds to do what Jesus would do.  But first we have to learn what it is that Jesus would do. 

When a solider goes into basic training they do the drills over and over and over again.  They practice what they will do before the shot a gun... they do it so much that when they have to make the decision to do the first step...and the shot comes naturally.  They don't actually make the decision to make the shot... they make the decision to take the first step in making the shot... so they will shoot without hesitation when the times comes to save their lives or the lives of a fellow officer.  They have trained for this.. their mind, their hands, their whole bodies have been conditioned to follow through.. Once the drill is set into motion their reaction is automatic.

That is how we should be with the word of God...we should read it and learn it... make it a part of our heart.  Then we should put it into practice over and over and over again... so when the time comes that we are in a position to make a quick decision... or when the time comes when we are too exhausted to even think...  or when the time comes that we are too stressed to think our automatic response will be a godly one. Our minds, our hands our body, our mouths will do the right thing because it has been trained to do what God would want.  We should never underestimate the power of that training.  Just as the benefits of  a soldiers training can save his life... or the lives of the people around him, godly training can save our lives. Godly training can save the lives of the people around us.  Godly training promises, PROMISES to benefit our life now...and our life in heaven. 

I have often wondered if I would make a difference in the life of anybody here on earth... I think we all have.  We have so much to do just to get through a day.. to pay the bills.. to get people where they need to be.  What I am learning is that when we do what God ask of us people notice.  Being godly changes us and the people around us. There is a dear, dear lady in my church, her name is Kay.  She is one of the most godly women I have ever know.  She is always kind, always.  She is always willing to say a prayer for others. She is always encouraging. When I needed her most I called her and she got dressed and met me at the hospital the day my mom died. She did this without any hesitation. When she opens her mouth we all listen, there will for sure be a wonderful nugget of information that will change me if I follow it.  Ms Kay makes me want to be a better person.  Ms Kay makes my daughter want to be a better person.  Ms Kay makes my friends that know her want to be a better person.  Ms Kay has trained herself for godliness and it shows in all that she says and all that she does. Ms Kay is changing the lives of all the people around her... she is leaving such a beautiful footprint on our earth...and making such a wonderful home for herself in heaven.  Ms Kay is always in training.

We spend our days doing so much that matters and then we spend our days doing so much that doesn't seem to matter much at all. There are opportunities everywhere to get a bit of training in. Nothing can change our lives more than to learn to live our lives in constant pursuit of godly wisdom. It is never to late to learn and grow.  We can start with just one decision to do one thing that will set us on the path of godliness.. God will honor our effort and change our world.  What do you want your footprint to say about you?

No comments: