I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Thursday, April 4, 2013

Luke 8:38-42 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home.  Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord's feet, listening to what he taught.  But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing.  She came to Jesus and said, "Lord, doesn't it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me."

But the Lord said to her, "My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about, Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken from her."
 
My Thoughts
This is a story that lots of us know...so much so that we don't often stop to think about it.  I remember thinking that if Jesus were in the room with me I would want to be like Mary and sit and listen to Jesus talk, too cooking just isn't my thing!!  But then I had to stop and think how is this story relevant to us today. 
 
We can get so busy with the details of life that we forget to take time with God.  We forget to read our Bibles and to pray.  We forget to stop and listen to the Holy Spirit direct our words and our actions.  No clean house, no perfect dinner, no perfect lawn or perfectly put together outfit is worth  not spending time with Jesus each day.  God is not going to ask me if my house was spotless, but He might just ask me if I spent time getting to know Him.  Do I want God to say, "I think I know her, she is that perfectly put together lady I saw in the mall." Or do I want to hear God say, "Jeannie! It's you!!  I have been waiting to have our conversations face to face!"
 
Pastor David told us a story Sunday about people's Bibles being taken away in Russia many years ago...the people were without the Bibles for something like 50 years.  When they were able to have Bibles again a team of people were going door to door handing out Bibles.  They knocked on one man's door. He said something like this, "I have been waiting on you, I have dreamed about you for years.  I had hidden away scriptures in my heart trying hard to always remember them. Now I can read them again."  Tears were streaming down this man's face.  Martha would not have had Jesus' words to remember and hold on to, Mary did.  What if we had our Bibles take from us, would you have those worlds, in your heart, to hold on to for fifty years? 

No comments: