I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Saturday, June 18, 2011

6.18.11

Acts 12:5 But while Peter was in prison, the church prayed very earnestly for him.

My Thoughts
The story goes on to tell how Peter was surrounded by guards, bound to guards...there look like there was no way out and Peter was going to be put to death.  But an angel of the Lord came and freed Peter. Notice the people prayed earnestly... earnestly is defined as "Marked by or showing deep sincerity or seriousness" another definition of earnestly is :With a purposeful or sincere intent" and one more is "Serious; determined." These peoples "earnest" prayers were answered by God.  If God were going to save Peter without the prayers would they have been mentioned? I wonder how often we feel our prayers have not been answered when we just sent a quick "would you do this for me" kind of prayer up to God. How often do we not get answered because we don't consider something important enough to ask earnestly? Do you think that God wants us to ask earnestly because it is important that we know that God is who took care of our problem...when we ask earnestly we are more aware of God's power... are more aware that God is working in us, around us, through others on our behalf?  When we ask earnestly and God answers we are aware that it was God and we are more likely to give God the credit that is due God? There are days I pray in earnest...there are days I pray quickly...more out of habit. It is good to have the habit of praying ... but we need to have the habit of praying earnestly. In all three definations of earnest a form of serious is mentioned.  If we don't treat our request as serious, should God?  Do you have a prayer that has not been answered?... Did you pray earnestly? There are many things I have prayed about in a passing way... now I need to go back and pray about them earnestly.

No comments: