I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Saturday, October 6, 2012

10.6.12

Colossians 2:8 Don't let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high sounding nonsense that comes from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ.
 
My Thoughts
This got me to thinking about how we are so hungry for knowledge... for things to fill our minds with.  We all want to learn more.  Even people that think they don't like to learn want to know more about the things they like to do.  God keeps us hungry for knowledge. Wanting to know new things is a good thing.  We just have to be very careful about what we are putting in our brains...because what we put into our brains eventually drops down into our hearts. 
 
This verse tells us that we need to be careful of things that come from human thinking and the spiritual powers of the WORLD. The way to do this is to know God's word. If we are reading and learning from something that is contradictory to God's word then we need to back away and move on to something else.  We don't even need to tempt our learning gene with things that contradict what God tells us. 
 
I am amazed at how many books that we have our our shelves that have been read, just in my house, and how long it too me to read God's word!  My home has never been without a Bible in it... as a child there were several Bibles in our house...as an adult there have always been several Bibles in our house. Yet it too me over 40 years to pick up my Bible and get serious about understanding it.  I have read fiction books, books on how to get over this problem or that problem, books on raising children, true crime books...but I didn't read my Bible.
 
Now I wonder how I ever got along before.  No wonder I had a time figuring out what I should and should not do in any situation before. I was so lost in this big dark world.  Now it is easy to make a decision! I have God as my compass and the Bible as my instruction book. The time I spend in God's word is given back to me 10 fold because decision making is much easier! I don't spend days wondering what I should do about something, I usually know what God would have me do now. Now I don't have to spend days fixing where I messed up. When I do what God would have me do I just get to go about my life without having to look back!! 
 
When we get lost in the philosophies of this world we get so confused!  One person says one thing, one group of people think another thing. There is tons of knowledge out there and all of it is contradicting. No wonder we are confused. But when we keep our eyes, and our hearts on Christ, He will straighten the crooked road and plain out all the bumps.  When we keep our eyes on Christ the fog clears, there is no confusion and life just gets better and better and better. 
 
 

No comments: