I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Thursday, October 11, 2012

10.11.12

Jeremiah 16:18 I will double their punishment for all their sins, because they have defiled my land with lifeless images of detestable gods and have filled my territory with their evil deed.
 
My Thoughts
When I got to this verse the first thing I thought of was bill boards, bill boards everywhere advertisements of every kind!! Then my mind went to the first place of bright and shinny bill boards... Las Vegas sometimes called "Sin City." I thought of how we want, want, want material goods all the time! For the first time ever I saw bill boards and advertisements as images of what we worship most "things!" How scary is that!!!  We want, want, want which makes us go, go, go and we neglect first of all God, then our families and our friends. For "things," we think we "have" to have.  When God looks down at us I wonder how he sees those bill boards?
 
I wounder how different our  lives would be, how different our job situation would be, how different our family life would be, how different our thinking and our words would be, how different our wants would be if for just a month we changed every bill board and every advertisement in America to a Bible verse, or a praise to God... or a, "Thank you, God!"  If we put God everywhere, so we were constantly reminded that what we want is not things, what we want, what that empty place in our bodies need is God!!
 
If we got busy loving God, putting God everywhere in our world, we would have no needs at all. God would supply our every need. People talk about peace...I remember it being what "everybody" wanted in the 70's. Peace even to those who do not love God, who do not believe that God exist see peace as a virtuous thing to want.  Peace comes straight from God. We have peace when we love God...when we worship God... when God is central in our lives!  If God and His word replaced every advertisement and we took in God's word like we take in the "need for stuff," I imagine that we would know a peace like we have never experienced ever.
 
You might say "Jeannie, you are being ridiculous! This is not even possible." I would counter it is possible with each one of us as individuals to make a choice to put God first.  It is possible for me to decide that ever time I see an advertisement that I will use that as a reminder to fix my thoughts on God, no on what somebody, some company tells me I "need."  We may not be able to change the world, but we can change ourselves! When we changes ourselves it effects the world around us!  All things are possible for me with God!!  All things are possible for YOU with God.  I have a choice, I can always choose God!

No comments: