I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Tuesday, October 16, 2012

10.16.12

1 Timothy 1:8-9a We know that the law is good when used correctly.  For the law was not intended for people who do what is right. It is for people who are lawless and rebellious, who are ungodly and sinful, who consider nothing sacred and defile what is holy.
 
My Thoughts
This verse got me to thinking about how as we move further from God the more policemen we need... the more laws that have to be made.  Each day a new laws go on the books in cities and towns across our nation....because we have become a people that does not love or care for his neighbor. We see it everywhere people who consider nothing sacred.  Selfishness abounds. 
 
I have been watching a lot of old television shows The Walton's, Andy Griffith... those towns had a sheriff...not a fleet of policemen.  I know, I know you can say, "That is TV."  But TV reflects how we live.  My sweet husband, Robby remembers when Southside had two policemen, his mom remembered when there was one part-time policeman. Now I am not sure how many we have...I sure don't know them all. 
 
We have more policeman because we have a need for more policeman.  It is an clear sign that we are moving away from Godly values. 
 
When my mother was a child, my grandmother thought everything was a sin (the way my mother would tell the stories). She was really strict about things like playing cards and going to the movies on Sundays. My mom would say, "What is the difference in going to the movie on Monday or Friday and going on Sunday?" I tended to agree with her. 
 
Now I think erring on the side of  being a little "out there" might be the best way to go.  My grandmother's rules were like a box inside a box.  So if you stepped out of her box... you were still safe from sin.  Today we live more like if it might be okay to do something then "why not!" So we are constantly walking in the "little sins" and when we step outside of that box we are stepping into something that could lead us down a path we might never return from. 
 
When we learn to love and trust God and all that He says... we begin to live more like my grandmother, we choose not to take a chance that something might be bad. If it is questionable we just choose not to do it. I think my grandmother had the right idea.
 
If as a nation, as individual people would choose to cry out to God, to live like He ask us to live it is possible to life in a day like Mayberry.  But it is only possible with God.  We always have a choice between blessing and curses (Deuteronomy 11:26). When we choose God we get the blessing of His protection.

No comments: