I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Wednesday, June 19, 2013

6.19.13

1 Kings 21:25-26 (No one else so completely sold himself to what was evil in the Lord's sight as Ahab did under the influence of his wife Jezebel.  His worst outrage was worshiping idols just as the Amorites had done -- the people whom the Lord and driven out from the land ahead of the Israelites.)
 
My Thoughts
"His worst outrage was worshiping idols."  Adoring reverence or regard was one of the definitions of worship. The the dictionary defined reverence as a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe; veneration. Veneration is a feeling of awe, respect, reverence.  When I think of worship I think of "spending time with," on Sunday mornings we spend time with God. 
 
Ahab's worst sin was worshiping idols.  What do we worship in America I asked myself.  Football comes to mind...the stands are always full... people plan their lives around football games.  Then we roll out the red carpet for movie stars, isn't that a form of worship?  I tend to spend lots of time watching TV, so here I am "spending time with" my TV!!  The list can go on and on and on...I am not picking on football fans or people that love the movies or people that have a lot of alone time and fill it with the sound of the TV.  What I am trying to do is get it straight in my mind what God would consider worshiping idols. 
 
I know that God sees worshiping idols as seeing an object as a god.  But treating an object or a person or a past time as the end all be all, would that be considered the same thing to God?  Our first response would be a resounding "NO!" Because we don't want to be guilty.  If we love God and we watch a lot of TV, or plan our lives around football...we after all love God!!  But what about the kings who worshiped God and other idols, didn't they do the same?  And it was still bad in God's sight. 
 
I am not saying to myself that we should never watch a football game or that we should never turn on the TV.  That we should never treat people with a little extra respect. The question I am asking myself is this, do I give TV more time and energy than I give God?  Do some of us give football more time and energy they they do God. Do we put people that simply star in a movie more awe than we give God?  Do we study more on something that we are interested in than we study on God?  And if and when we do, how does God see that? 
 
I would love you input on this!!  I would love it if you pondered it as much as I am this minute. I would love to know what you think.   Because I don't ever want God to feel as if I am worshiping something more than I worship Him!!! 

No comments: