I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Wednesday, August 10, 2011

8.10.11

Proverbs 21:3 The Lord is more pleased when we do what is right and just than when we offer him sacrifices.

My Thoughts
This passage really struck me this morning... I though of how the Israelites had to make sacrifices of their animals. There was a lot to that... these animals sometimes had to be the firstborn male animal.... they had to be free or blemishes of any kind... and there is more to that list that I can't remember.  Just think of the part I do remember... the farmer had to be truly aware of which animal was first born... then check to see if it was a male.... it had to be keep it separate maybe so that it would not get mixed up with the others...then it was probably feed the best food....it had to be watched over so that it didn't get scared up or killed.  Then it had to be checked for any blemishes, moles for instance. So there had to be more than one animal that was kept safely just in case one of the animals developed a blemish.  Then they had to take this animal for miles and miles to the temple on foot.....All this had to be done to have a perfect sacrifice for God.

Proverbs tells us here that God is more pleased when we do right than when we offer sacrifices. So many times choosing to do what is right is just easy...sometimes as easy as keeping our mouth shut.  Sometimes it requires a lot of effort, maybe giving up something we worked hard for.  But I know most of doing right is much easier than raising a perfect animal for sacrifice. Yet often we disappoint God by not doing what is right. The thing is God wants us to do what is right because he loves us and wants us to be happy. Doing what is right changes our lives for the good. God is happier when we choose to make our lives good by by making the right  choices than he is when we give something to him. Actually being good, choosing to do good things is a gift to God.

You may have thought what could I do for God? I have thought that many times! This verse makes it clear...we can do what is right.  Next time we are tempted to gossip, we can think to ourselves if I keep my mouth shut that will be the same as giving God a present!! If I take time to be nice to the lady checking me out at Wal-Mart that is the same as giving God a present. If I hold the door for someone that is the same as giving God a present. If I take food to my neighbor it is the same as giving God a present. If I do a good job at work all the time that is the same as giving God a present. When we put it in this light we can do for God all day long every day just by choosing to do  the right thing. What are you going to give God today?



No comments: