I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Monday, December 2, 2013

12.2.13

1 John 2:16 For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world.



My Thoughts
I can read this and just say, "so true," but what I need to do is stop and think of how it really applies to my life. It is one of those times where I can grow if I stop and be totally honest with myself... and put it in my spirit how to deal with this in all my days to come.

I thought to myself, "How do I know the difference in having things that God has blessed me with?" The answer we really pretty simple... When I get something new that belongs in my life I feel at peace with it...it brings me a calm. It is always a more simple feeling of peaceful joy. It is never a "rush" when it belongs in my life. Then there are times when I buy something that feels like a rush...then when I get it home it is a bit of a let down. Sometime even more than a bit of a let down.

So I thought about the different things in my life that had come about in those different ways. And I could, when I stopped to look, see how the purchase felt different from the very beginning of the thought..and how if felt when I got it home ... and then again how if felt when I showed it to my friends and family. The purchase of a craving or desire came with an immediate, "I shouldn't buy this, but I want it feeling." Then it was followed by a bit of a let down when I got it home...and when I showed it off it was more of a na na na naaaa na feeling when I shared it with people. Even if I didn't want to or mean to feel that way, I could have that feeling. Then there was the long term feeling of the purchase where it never brings yous as much joy of happiness as it felt like it would. It just never looks quite right or fits quite right... it may not fit in the spot like you thought it would... but you notice it too late to take it back.. it is just never comfortable somehow.. if it is a piece of clothing or a pretty thing to sit around the house... it is never "just right" somehow.

Things that I have bought or acquired that were what I considered a gift from God felt different from the onset. When I made the purchase, I was more careful to consider how much money I was spending, if it was a good time to spend it, was it something I needed or would it really, really make me feel good in an every day way? Then there was the getting it home... that felt more like an, "Oh you belong here!" moment, a comfortable, ungreedy, it fits perfect moment. Then there is the show it to friends and family moment...which is more of a, "Oh look what I got!! I feel so blessed! I am so lucky to have this and I just had to share it with YOU." feeling. Those things that we get/purchase because they are a blessing stick with our hearts somehow. They can make you smile years and years later... you never want to get rid of them. It could be an old shirt that you have had for years that needs to be thrown away but feels so comforting... or a chair that sits "just right."

Have you ever tried to duplicate that "just right" shirt? You never can!! Why? I have become to believe after thinking on this verse and my life, that that just right shirt or that perfect quilt or best chair ever came with such peace that we feel it still each time we wrap ourselves in them. It something that we received as a gift from God without realizing it. It came into our lives in its perfect time. Not a must have craving...but it came with a warm peaceful joy! Because we waited on God's timing!

Those things we get that promise happiness in the store, then disappoint us even before we get home sometimes.. or maybe a week later...they were Satan's lie. They came with a promise at the beginning that couldn't be fulfilled at the end.

The things we get in God's timing come in gentle, and they feel right completely right! And the joy from them last and last and last...sometimes long after the item is worn out and gone.

Imagine how much our lives would change if we stop and take time to recognize everything we buy or do as a gift from God or a lie from Satan. We can tell the difference because it starts at the very beginning of the action... we just have to pause and reflect at the start! The thought makes me smile! I think of my closet being filled with things that God blessed me with...and each thing feeling like that perfect shirt... each room feeling like a safe haven from the world outside... each item feeling peaceful. When I think of it this way I think, "Why would I ever not wait on God?!?!"


No comments: