I decided to start this blog (2010) because my son, John-Robert gave me a One Year Bible for Christmas, the New Living Translation... reading it has changed my life... I post a daily Bible verse on my Facebook page every day and it has been well received... I thought that this would be a wonderful way to share part of what I read each day!... I hope that you enjoy it.



This Year 2012 I am going to do things a little different... not much...just a little. I am again reading through my One Year Bible (for the 3rd time). But I am also using "The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyer. This book is divided by putting scriptures under different categories so they can be used to speak over our life situations. Each day I will read a category of scripture and pick a scripture in that category to write about.



Hugs

Jeannie







Sunday, October 7, 2012

10.7.12

Colossians 3:5b Don't be greedy for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.

My Thoughts
My daddy and I were talking just the other day about how little people had during the depression... and for years after.  How much had changed in the world just since I was a little girl. He said that he and my mom didn't have a telephone until after I was born. 

I have been watching the Walton's a lot lately, I love that show.  It was set during the depression and the Walton family didn't have a lot.  But they loved greatly.  These stories were based on a real family.  These children would give up all they had when one of their brothers or sisters needed something. They had so little but gave so much!
 
Today we are all so greedy... everybody walking around with their own phones.... closets are full of clothes... we pay for storage buildings to put thing we don't use anymore all safe and tucked away, just in case we might want to use it.   We don't even share what we don't even want anymore. Much less share the money we  had saved for months so that one of our family members could have something that is important to them.  We live in a me, me world. There are enough TV's in homes now that people don't even have to give in on what to watch on TV.  We even all recognize the phrase, "He who has the most toys wins." 
 
Worst of all we fail to recognize our greed as putting stuff before God.  I believe that before I make a purchase I need to learn to ask myself, "Is this a need or is this greed." I need to be constantly aware that when I am being greedy that I am putting things above God and that is not acceptable.
 

No comments: